Thursday, September 3, 2009

More On The Open Cup Final


History was going to be made no matter who won the match. DC United were looking for back-to-back titles while the Sounders were seeking their first US Open Cup championship. Here are a few of my thoughts on last night's game:

The atmosphere at RFK looked pretty amazing. I know that a lot of Seattle fans were upset that the final wasn't held in Seattle, but the presence of the Screaming Eagles, Barra Brava and La Norte made it look great on TV.

The referee crew deserves a ton of praise for their performance last night. I never found myself arguing any call by yelling at the TV. Only a few surprise comments of, "That's not a foul." Great job by the 4th official for catching the stomp/jump of Josh Wicks on Freddy Montero. I saw it in real time but was surprised no one else did.

Speaking of Josh Wicks, I think the former Timbers keeper either needs anger management classes or he needs to lay off the roids. First, he attacked his own teammate Marc Burch on saturday during their game against Chicago and now the stomp on Montero. Hey Garber! How about a drug test for this guy?

Kasey Keller is the man... and so is Santino Quaranta. Quaranta brought new life to a sputtering DC attack.

I thought the Sounders needed finishing practice, but so does United. Most of their shots sailed high not even bothering Keller.

I saw someone post, "Le Toux + Levesque = Le Goal" on one of the many sites I was on before the Open Cup kicked off. I laughed a little to myself and found it amusing but highly unlikely. Boy was I wrong! And I couldn't be happier.

Lastly, I was enthused by Freddie Ljungberg's response to winning the cup. This guy has won three FA Cups and here he is celebrating with the rest of the team and kissing the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup trophy. It made me optimistic about the future of MLS and soccer in the United States.

Clyde Simms scored the lone goal for DC United while Freddie Ljungberg was instrumental in the Seattle attack.

No comments:

Post a Comment