Tuesday, August 25, 2009

You Can Save A Life

Last Tuesday the Sounders held a bone marrow drive at the urging of Tyrone Marshall. The effort was to support RSL and Jamaican international, Andy Williams and his wife Marcia. She has been battling leukemia and this was Seattle's chance to help find a bone marrow donor for her. The first stop was checking in and getting paperwork.

Station 2 was filling out a lot of paperwork since you are on the donor list until you're 60 years old.

Zakuani and Riley filling out the donor applications.

After swabbing the inside of your mouth with some really long Q-tips, you moved on to station 4...autographs with the Sounders. The first hour and a half had Marshall, Le Toux, Vagenas, Graham and Jaqua.

Taylor Graham told me that halfway through the event new players were coming. So naturally I stuck around and came back at the midway point. On my way back in I ran into Steve Zakuani outside. We briefly chatted and went on in.

Since I had already completed the donor process I was able to head straight to the autograph table. I want to give a shout out to Marshall and Le Toux for sticking around the whole time. James Riley signing my scarf.

As Zach Scott signed my scarf, I told him about our buddy, Ty, and his, "I used to play with that guy. He's a good player" comments. We had a good laugh about it and we both realized that we had played against each other in a semi-pro indoor league.

Defender and California native, Tyson Wahl.

The first ever Superdraft pick for the Sounders, Steve Zakuani.

1 comment:

  1. On a side note, Pete Vagenas was being a DB while I was there. I took my Jamaica jersey for Tyrone to sign. Most of the other guys were impressed that I had one, while Passback Pete was saying, "How did you know Tyrone was gonna be here? Free food? Tyrone's always down for free food."
    I was standing there like, "Tyrone set this whole thing up to help out his friend and his wife. And you think he's here for free food?" I wasn't going to respond to Pete, and then Tyrone piped up and said, "You don't have to respond to that." I'm glad I didn't because I probably would have said something that I would have regretted later.
    I was talking with Tyrone later and he told me that Vagenas was the first one back there to get the food. Figures.
    Oh, and all the nicknames people call Vagenas on the forums... his team-mates call him those things too.

    ReplyDelete