Thursday, October 15, 2009

Why I Like Fabio Capello

I can't say that I agree with every decision a football manager makes and Fabio Capello is no different. But I can say that I like his politics (actually, I don't know his politics, but I like a comment he recently made). After inserting David Beckham as a second half substitute yesterday against Belarus, David Beckham went on to win the Man of the Match award from ITV panelist, Steve Bruce. Keep in mind that the dancing robot, Peter Crouch, scored a brace in the 3-0 win for England. When asked about the surprise selection of Becks as MoM, Capello responded by saying,
"It was like Obama getting the Nobel Peace Prize after eight months as president. He gets the man of the match after 30 minutes here."

My thoughts exactly.

Disclaimer: I'm not ripping on David Beckham. I like the guy and I think he's a great footballer.

David Beckham gives a thumbs up to the fans after being named the Man of the Match against Belarus.

What is up with the beard? Please don't tell me he's already started the play off beard!

3 comments:

  1. I laughed at one post from a commenter on the linked article so I wanted to share a few here:

    "Beckham's consistently been England's best player for a decade since Shearer was playing great 10 years ago. I know we're all supposed to say how rubbish he is - but he's miles better than any of his replacements, they're all sprinters masquerading as footballers with the touch of a rapist. He's not as young as he was and he's not the best 'athlete' in the team, but he is the best footballer. And he's lucky - and England need to be lucky."
    - Steve Jacks, London, 15/10/2009 13:15

    "People who slag off Beckham show their jealousy and prove they have no idea about the game of football.

    I agree he shouldn't off been given the man of the match award but did he make the choice? no, so get off his back.

    He is still the best passer of a ball and the best crosser of a ball in the world so to have him on the bench to come on if necessary is a real luxury.

    Beckham has more passion than the rest of the England team put together and gives 110% all of the time unlike Lampard/Gerrard/Ferdinand and the rest of the team. Although there is another like Beckham and that is Rooney."
    - Simon G, Spain, 15/10/2009 12:55

    "Beckham is a must for the world Cup.Cannot Mr Powell see his brilliance! His passing,Crosses,corners, free kicks and the experience to the team - He rerely gives the ball away which is vital for an England team.Becks is an England legend along with other greats. If Capello does not take him he will make the same mistake as Hoddle when he left our best player Gascoigne out of the squad for the 98 world Cup."
    - Trevor Mcilroy, Bexleyheath,England, /10/2009 12:28

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't see the game, but if he played anything like he has been for the Galaxy, it was well deserved. Can't wait to see him lift the MLS Cup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The post really wasn't about David Beckham. It was my masked attempt to complain that Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize for doing nothing. All the guy has done is talk about more change than a homeless beggar.

    ReplyDelete