Monday, June 8, 2009

U.S. off to South Africa


That headline will be a lot more exciting to say next year. Even though it’s not the World Cup, I’m still pumped for the Confederations Cup. We get to see how our boys stack up against the world’s best a year ahead of the big cup. I truly believe that we have the talent to be one of the top five footballing nations, so the anticipation for this tournament is huge. Unfortunately, that anticipation is cooled off by the realization that as long as Bob Bradley is the coach of this team we will never realize that potential.


Bradley released the 23 man roster for the Confederations Cup and it’s about what I expected from him. I don’t think it’s the best roster we have, but still has enough talent to make a play for the cup. However, I suspect that the talent on the roster that could lead us to triumph will spend more time keeping the bench warm than scoring goals. So, I’ll get to it and let you see the roster.

U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Luis Robles (Kaiserslautern)

DEFENDERS (8): Carlos Bocanegra (Rennes), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Danny Califf (Midtjylland ), Jay DeMerit (Watford), Oguchi Onyewu (Standard de Liege), Heath Pearce (Hansa Rostock), Jonathan Spector (West Ham United), Marvell Wynne (Toronto FC)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Freddy Adu (AS Monaco), DaMarcus Beasley (Rangers), Michael Bradley (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Ricardo Clark (Houston Dynamo), Benny Feilhaber (Aarhus), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), José Francisco Torres (Pachuca)

FORWARDS (5): Jozy Altidore (Xerez), Conor Casey (Colorado Rapids), Charlie Davies (Hammarby), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy)

The biggest surprise on the roster is Luis Robles, but since he’s the third choice keeper, it should be a good chance to get a young keeper some experience and let the coaching staff get a good look at him. Conor Casey was a surprise to start against Honduras, so that makes it less of surprise to see him on this roster. If we had a real coach it would still be a surprise to see him on this roster since he spent most of the game kicking the ball out of bounds, but since Bradley is running things, it’s what we have come to expect.

So how do we win with this squad? I think this lineup would produce a few upsets in South Africa:
------------------------Altidore-------------------
-----------------Adu-----------Donovan--------
Torres-------------Feilhaber---------Beasley
Pearce—Bocanegra—Onyewu--Spector
-----------------------Howard---------------------

This lineup would get Donovan, Adu and Feilhaber all on the field at once which I believe is the key to our success. These are players that can control the game and create opportunities for themselves and their teammates. Adu’s ability to hold the ball under pressure and beat one player causing the opponents defense to get off balance and then make a decisive pass is something that we lack, and desperately need if we want to compete with the big boys. Feilhaber is a great presence in the midfield. He is able to slow the game down and relieve pressure by making the simple passes and keeping possession. He can also make that killer pass to spring his teammates in on goal. Having Adu, Donovan and Feilhaber all on the field together will give the U.S. a dynamic we have not seen. It’s this dynamic that will transform us from a solid team to a great team.

I know most of you are probably wondering; where’s Dempsey? Where’s Bradley? And how do we defend without two hacks in the center of midfield. Well, don’t worry, White Kix has those answers. First, let’s tackle Dempsey. I’ve heard he just came off a great year with Fulham. To be honest, I haven’t seen him play much this year on the club level, but I have seen his performances for the Nats, and they just have not been good enough. Using just the recent Honduras game as an example gives plenty of ammunition to my claim. It was Dempsey’s patent flick the ball behind my heal and fall over move that lead to Honduras’ goal. Then he decided to try that same move for the next 45 minutes with the same outcome each time. Yes, he did a few good things. He played a few good balls wide to Spector and did keep the corner in play that lead to the game winning goal, but one header and a few good balls should be demanded out of our players. It should not be enough to keep a starting job. Also, his Honduras defensive play of the game he made on Feilhaber’s cross was appalling. It must have taking all his concentration and skill to make sure that the ball didn’t end up in the back of the Honduras net.

Now onto Michael Bradley, why is he not in the lineup? Well, because he is not a good passer, is not much of a defender and he accumulates cards like an American Express Advisors bowl at Subway. He is not the integral part of our team that his father has lead many to believe. Again, just take a look at the Honduras game. It was one of the few times we have seen the team without him this year, and it was one of our best games.

Finally, on to the last burning question; how do we defend without two hacks in the center of midfield? Well, Feilhaber, Adu and Donovan can all keep possession of the ball. Torres and Beasley will help keep the ball as well. What does that have to do with defending? Nothing, but as long as we have the ball, the other team can’t score. If you don’t believe in this line of logic, just go ask the Spaniards or the Brazilians about it.

I know we won’t see this lineup in South Africa, and that’s exactly why Bradley needs to go. Yes, we will get to the World Cup, but simply because we have too much talent not to. But when it comes to performing on the big stage, Bradley is not the guy to lead us. Our players can compete with the best on the field, now we need a coach who can compete with the best on the sideline.

Confederations Cup Schedule:
Date Opponent Time TV
Monday June 15 Italy 2:30 P.M. ET ESPN
Thursday June 18 Brazil 10:00 A.M. ET ESPN2
Sunday June 21 Egypt 2:30 P.M. ET ESPN2

7 comments:

  1. Wow White Kix! That was impressive. I know that you've been on the Benny train for a while...but I was thinking, "the guy hasn't been playing, he won't be fit, etc..." but I was impressed with his play against Honduras. I was also impressed with Adu and Davies against Costa Rica. Now, I'm not a big Heath Pearce fan so I would like to see Spector or Bocanegra move out the the left side. I know that you're working with the roster that mighty Bradley has given you so your hands are tied.
    I also noticed that you're using the christmas tree formation that AC Milan uses...interesting. I like the read and got a few laughs out of it too. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. You have 5 guys on the starting line up that either A) play very few minutes or B)don't play at all for their teams. Adu, Beasley, Altidore, Feilhaber, and Heath Pearce who can't even find time for a 2nd division club. This isn't Fantasy football or a FIFA 09 ine up. Dempsey did have a great season with Fulham as I did watch a lot of his games, although the way he plays on the Nats I post blame soley on the coach and the give away, well he was an idiot for that one. But in all Dempsey is a very good player who is not being coached when he's out there for the Nats. I could give a crap about Little Bradley, but to knock Connor Casey who didn't even have a clue he was going to be called up and then being thrown in the starting line up wasn't his fault. Again, I put blame on the Bobby Bradley. Yeah, Casey did dribble or pass the ball out of bounds a few times and he did accumulate a card, but I think much of what he did was positive. He provided a huge physical presence that the Honduran back line had fits with. He also, did much of what Ching would have done, in holding the ball distributed decent, oh and ps It's nice to have a big man in Casey who is 10x faster than Chingy. But I think this was a fair game by him considering he hasn't been with the National Team in years. He can only get better. I definitely think he did a hell of a lot better than Josmer, who in my opinion was worthless. I would agree that Adu needs more minutes with the US and not just garbage minutes, but also I am surprised that Charlie Davies didn't play. I think Beasely is a horrible idea and he needs to be off the team for a while until he can regain his form with a club. He has speed that's about it and yes speed kills, but if that's all you have then it's gonna kill the team. Feilhaber, did have a surprisingly decent game as well, and I think he deserves more minutes as we need a player with his potential to get better quick fast and in a hurry. HEATH PEARCE?!!!!! REALLY WHITE KIX?!! COME ON MAN! I'd rather call on Tony Sanneh than Pearce. I can't remember if it was Honduras or El Salvador away match, but Pearce was getting used. His lack of pace is a huge problem for me and his decisions with the ball when pressured makes me a little nervous, especially seeing the attacking potential of the confed group we are in. Your starting 11 has a lot of ambition, but again we need to score goals and having 1 forward doesn't do the job. Seeing all the attacking options or options period, makes me wonder if we are really that deep in talent. For what it's worth, here's my starting 11.
    -------Casey----Charlie D.-------
    Torres----Clark----Feilhaber-----Donovan Bornstein(Boca)---Demerit(Boca)--Gooch--Spector
    -------------------Howard----------------------
    Subs:
    1. Altidore
    2. Adu
    3. Dempsey
    4. Califf
    5. Guzan

    What I see happening:
    -----------Casey-------------
    ----------Donovan---------
    Beasley---Clark--MB-----Dempsey
    Bornstein---Boca---Gooch----Spector
    -------------Howard---------------

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops my line up didn't come out as well as I wanted...

    F- Casey
    F- Charlie D.
    LW- Torres
    CDM- Clark
    CM- Feilhaber
    RW- Donovan
    LB- Bornstein
    CB- Boca
    CB- Gooch
    RB- Spector
    GK- Howard

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting post... Although, I would disagree on a lot, I do agree with your opening paragraph. I just can't see BB taking us far in the tourney. Anyway, Your starting 11 seems very ambitious. I do like the attacking mindset you have White Kix. I have to agree with Anon #1... Heath Pearce. No Bueno. PS- I need to see you wear your Miami Gatos shirt in Miami. Keep the posts coming WK.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Anon
    I think White Kix used Pearce in his line up because he is working with the actual roster for the Confederations Cup. I think everyone that's commented agrees that Pearce is not the answer for left back...so it comes down to preference between Pearce or Bornstein. My defence would look like this:
    Bocanegra - DeMerit - Onyewu - Spector

    if Cherundolo or Hejduk were healthy, I would play:
    Spector- Boca - Onyewu - Dolo/Hejduk

    Here is an attacking line-up (3-5-2) that I would like to see:

    ------Altidore-----Davies-----
    Beasley-----Donovan-----Adu---
    ------Torres----Fielhaber-----
    ----Boca---Gooch---Spector--
    -----------Howard--------

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beasley would not make my starting 11 nor would I consider him being my first sub, he just looks like a man uninterested in playing. He may be done, unless a revelation happens. Search deep DB, you were one of my favorites. Adu would be more to crack my line up, but I still wouldn't start him considering he hasn't played in a while. BUT! He needs games and a chance.
    My line up 3-4-1-2:
    ----Jozy(Casey)----Davies(Dempsey)----
    -------------Donovan(Adu)------------
    Torres---Clark------Feilhaber---Dempsey
    Boca----DeMerit------Onyewu----Spector
    ----------Howard----------

    Subs:
    Adu
    Bornstein
    Davies
    Califf
    Beasley
    Coach: Scolari... A guy can dream can't he?

    I think this line up would be very creative, quick, fast, and defensively competant.

    Side note: Diego (my son) say's to bring in Kenny Cooper and Robbie Findley.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anon #1
    I realize a lot of the guys in my lineup aren't getting regular minutes, but they are our most talented players, so if we have to use these games to get them sharp, then we should do it to benefit the team in the long run. Then we need to find these guys teams where they'll play (Feilhaber is playing now, but that injury kept him out way too long).

    As far as your comments about Dempsey, it may be true that the coaching is the big issue. He did play well for the Nats in 2006, but hasn't replicated that form since. That is when bradley took over, so you may be right. I've blamed Bradley for far more than that.

    As far as Conor Casey, I agree that him comming in late to camp is partly to blame. But Bradley should have realized that and started Davies, Davies was greta in limited minutes against Costa Rica, I think he deserved the start against Honduras. Casey got the start, just because he is bigger than Davies. Altidore is big enough, I don't think there is any need to have another large forward. I just have never been one to think that big target forwards are needed to win games. Although, I will admit that in my lineup Altidore got the nod ahead of Davies on size alone, because Davies has looked good recently in limited minutes.

    Finally, Heath Pearce. Last Summer against England, Spain and Argentina, he was one of our better players, and seemed to stake a claim on the left back spot. then that game at El Salvador he was awful (along with most of the team). I think that he has potential, and could be the starting left back come 2014, but right now he should be 2nd or 3rd string in that spot. I put him in the lineup based on the Confederations Cup roster. Bornstein did have a solid game against Honduras so I could have gone with him. Both of those players have had solid games and both have had horrible games with the Nats. between teh two I have a bias for Pearce. I think that Pearce has had the better performances against the better teams. You could also throw Bocanegra or Spector on the left, but based on the rest of the roster I went with Pearce on the left. For the 2010 World Cup I think there is a good solution to our left back problem, that we saw some of in 2006 (and no, it does not include a midfielder), but I'll discuss that closer to the Gold Cup.

    Thanks for the comments.

    ReplyDelete